Here is a little something to get you in the mood for Thanksgiving! My mother-in-law made this recipe when she visited from Memphis last year, it is AMAZING!! The recipe is from the BHG Ultimate Italian magazine.
Prep time: 30 Minutes Chill time: 4 to 24 hours
1-10 ¾ ounce loaf frozen pound cake, thawed
2-Tablespoons Frangelico (Hazelnut liqueur)
2- cups whipping cream
1 8-ounce carton mascarpone cheese (creamy, slightly sweet triple-cream cheese)
½ cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon orange extract
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground mace or ground nutmeg
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
Grated whole nutmeg or ground cinnamon
1. Cut pound cake into sixteen ½-inch thick slices. Arrange half of the slices in the bottom of a 2-quart square baking dish. Brush slices with 1 tablespoon of the Frangelico. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat whipping cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks from (tips curl). Set aside.
3. In another large bowl, combine mascarpone cheese, pumpkin, the 1 teaspoon cinnamon, the orange extract, ginger, and mace. Beat on medium speed until combined. Fold in half of the whipped cream.
4. Spread half of the pumpkin mixture over cake layer in dish. Top with the remaining cake slices; brush cake slices with remaining Frangelico. Spread remaining pumpkin mixture and the remaining whipped cream over layers in dish (dish will be VERY full). Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
5. To serve, sprinkle with grated nutmeg. Makes 8 servings.